About 10-12 years back I was a great fan of the Oprah Winfrey show. It was from her show that I was then introduced to Dr Oz. I loved the way he spoke and the way he broke things down so that people like us could understand them. I then started watching his show. Now Dr Oz is a big advocate of healthy living and eating. On one of his shows, he had a nutritionist, called Dr Rovenia Brock. He asked the audience to guess how old she was. The audience guess ranged from 29-35. In reality, Dr Rovenia was 56 years old!!!! Dr Rovenia is a nutritionist so she probably knows a trick or 2 to keep herself and her skin beautiful.
This was a green smoothie recipe that she made on the show. Now, anything a woman who looks so young eats is very interesting. To top it all she had fantastic skin. She called this the Fountain of Youth shake. I got all the things I needed and made this the very next day.
Within a week my skin was brighter, my scars less visible and less red. At that time I had still not figured out that my acne was being caused by sugar, but this drink did make my acne heal faster.
Here is the recipe.
Green Smoothie For Acne
- 1 cup coconut water ( good for hydrating your skin )
- One teaspoon wheat grass powder ( helps with hormonal acne )
- 2 handfuls spinach or one handful any green leafy vegetable like mint, parsley ( good for hormonal acne )
- 2-3 inch pieces of pineapple ( vitamin C, bromelain and antioxidants in pineapple are good for acne )
- Juice of one lemon ( Vitamin C helps reduce acne )
- Half a green apple ( helps to make collagen and heal skin )
- One inch piece of ginger ( anti- inflammatory and helps bring down redness in skin )
Blend all the above and drink.
The above was the original recipe. However, due to the fact that I could not get pineapple too often, I often skipped it and the apple too. However feel free to use kiwi, strawberries (or any berry) instead of pineapple and apple. Sometimes I just used coconut water, wheat grass, lemon and ginger and still had good results.
Try it and let me know how it works out for you.
Leave a Reply